THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE WINGS
- Wings is designed to take comfort an extra step while increasing the overall harness strength. It is one of few systems on the market today that has passed the TSO-C23d. This means that the Wings harness has been thoroughly tested and approved for heavier weights at higher speeds. With skydiving headed in so many new directions we offer a versatile harness that conforms to our changing sport.
- After several years of testing, we have designed a truly flexible ring system. No system on the market has been able to take full advantage of a ring intersection until now. We found that the ring intersection needs to be where the lateral, main lift web and leg pads meet. This means there is no longer a need for individual leg pad connections because of the 45-degree angle that all leg pads assume when wearing a harness. The Wings Aerial System allows true flexibility at the ring and no twisting or flexing load is taken by the webbing. This is a common problem among other systems; the ring simply does not flex and the webbing on the harness bends and flexes instead.
If you compare the Wings to other rigs on the market you will see that the Wings does not have the "kink" on the main lift web that you will see on other rigs out there.
- Sunrise Manufacturing believes that a riser cover design should be simple, but effective. Too many of today's systems have problems with riser covers opening at the wrong time. There is a fine line between making them too tight and obstructing your openings; and/or, too loose and having them open unexpectedly. We found that the number one problem was that once a rig has 50+ jumps on it, the stiffeners inside the tuck tabs begin to bend abnormally. This is due to the fact that when a rig is packed, the shoulder straps need to bend whether it's being worn or not. The Wings riser covers were designed so the bend in the shoulder strap is not in the tuck tabs, therefore preventing this bend in the stiffener. This in turn will keep our tabs closed when they are meant to be closed, and open when meant to be open.
Bottom of Container Pouches
- To avoid the hassle of replacing a spandex BOC pocket every 200-300 jumps, we also offer a cordura pouch which is designed into the container. It is manufactured with the same 1000D cordura as the container to reduce wear and tear. We have also developed a larger, spacious pouch to allow the pilot chute to be flattened, giving the bottom of the container a cleaner, sleek look.
|Cordura BOC with hackey handle. No bridle exposure!
||Cordura BOC with freefly handle. No bridle exposure!
||Spandex BOC with hackey handle. No bridle exposure!
- In addition to the new pouch design we have also invented a new type of handle for the throw out pilot chute, which we call the Freefly Handle. Here we have combined the low profile advantage of the "PUD" pull out system with the throw out pilot chute. This new cutting edge design will drastically reduce the potential of premature deployment. There is NO bridle exposure and the Freestyle Handle is easy to grab, while remaining tight and smooth with the bottom of the container.
- Not until now has there been a harness that is as comfortable on the ground, in the aircraft and especially under canopy. Wings harness configuration is designed so that when standing erect there is no unnecessary tension placed on the hips, chest or legs. When sitting in the aircraft the harness flexes so that it forms to your position instead of restricting you. Most importantly , the nature of all harnesses put a lot of pressure on the thighs while under canopy (especially in the groin area). Sunrise Manufacturing has designed a harness that brings your legs slightly forward. This places most of the load on the back of the thigh, allowing you to feel as if you are sitting in a harness, rather than hanging from straps between your legs. The harness and lateral combine to give the most comfort .
Anti-Line Twist Main D-Bag
- Line twists can be a real problem, especially with today's elliptical canopies. We have reduced this problem with an innovative way of stowing the canopy lines. Instead of the traditional side of the bag stows, the new bag keeps all lines and stows on top of the D-Bag. This keeps the tension during deployment in the center of the bag instead of on the sides, which can cause the bag to teeter totter back and forth, potentially leading to line twists.
A wider stiffener (3" Type IV webbing) is sewn into the underside of the reserve flap to insure that your reserve pin is not exposed to the relative wind, no matter what your position in freefall. Added Stiffener on the #2 Flaps: For a smoother, sleeker appearance of the cordura, no matter how tight or loose your d-bag and canopy are in the main tray. Improved Riser Cover Design: Especially key on larger Wings (W-27 and up) and on all Wings with Large and Extra Large Yokes. With the new design there is less main riser exposed.
SEMI STOWLESS DEPLOYMENT BAG
1. THE WINGS
The Wings is the result we got from 15 years of industry experience and with extensive research. Recent years have brought about new developments in harness/container design, but have also created new challenges. Wings was designed to accommodate all the demands of new age skydivers while maintaining the traditional needs of safety, comfort, and reliability.
OVER THE YEARS THERE HAS BEEN QUITE A FEW CHANGES ON THE RIG
CUT IN LATERALS
This feature makes the rig mold to your body like no other rig on the market. Once you
are hanging under canopy the rig is also extremely comfortable, thanks to the cut in laterals.
The reserve flap has also been improved. It is longer and it also has a wider tape
on the back to keep it secure.
Our yoke is contoured, and together with the round rings above your hip you will
find that the rig is fully articulating.
Picture of The Wings »
2. THE WINGS EXT
The Longer, Sleeker Wings! The Wing EXT series is specifically designed for taller jumpers (generally 5'10" and up). If you fly small (under 120 square foot) high performance mains but like the security of a larger reserve (i.e.: 79 Velocity and a PD 126) the EXT might be for you.
Please note that this container is used rarely with canopies 170 and larger. And also note that this container does not have any extra options, it doesn't cost anything more. It's just a different shape.
Picture of The Wings EXT (Vision)»
3. THE WINGS VISION
A new design to the Wings container. We have made the # 2 (the main closing flap/risers covers with a new look. Instead of it just being one piece, it's now 2 seperate pieces. You can choose to have it one color or 2 colors.
The riser covers has also been modified for better security.
Picture of The Wings Vision (EXT) »
4. THE STUDENT WINGS
Adjustable Main Lift Web and/or Adjustable Laterals are included in the base price of the Student Wings. And the RSL is also standard on the student rig. There is also no extra charge for custom colors on a Student Wings, except for midflap stripes and midflap pinstripes. ($25.00/part)#5
Common student Wings options:
Mini Ring Type 8 Risers or Large Ring Type 8 Risers
• Thread-thrus or B-12 leg strap hardware
• AAD Setup options: FXC Reserve, Cypres window on #3 flap, or Cypres window on back pad
We also offer several main deployment options:
Hand Deploy: BOC (Cordura or Spandex pouch) with Plastic Handle or Hackey Handle. ROL (Standard Harness ONLY)
• Ripcord: (Spring Loaded PC): BOC (plastic handle), Hip (plastic handle), or Chest (#8 - metal handle)
• Static Line: Direct Bag or Pilot Chute Assist
• AFF Left Side Main Deployment: Throw out PC or Ripcord
Picture of The student Wings »